Monday, June 22, 2009

An article from resident blogger Amanda Reed

My Summer in Anatomy


Wow!! This was the first word that came to mind when I found out that I was taking anatomy for the summer. I just knew we weren’t going to really get involved with all the dissecting because the summer was short, but boy was I wrong. All my classmates laughed and made jokes because I was pregnant during the time the class was assigned. And as we all know being pregnant is one thing, but having to take Anatomy is another. Our first dissection was a pig. Yes, a PIG! We had a choice to work alone or in groups of two to three other dissectors. I personally work better alone but this was different, I’d rather work with others for these projects. We had set directions on what the procedure was and when it was all over, questions about what we learned. See I had it easy. My role was to be the writer and record all the information that was important. During this process we learned about the skin and different body parts to help us cut the right parts. We worked on this dissection for 5 days and everyday was more and more interesting.


Now we are in the third week of 5th term and our last dissection is a cat. Not little cats, but very large cats. Mr. Shields only laughed when I complained about the pigs because the cats were even worst. The smell was the worst, then comes the actually cat itself. There was no way I could last in this class for two more weeks so I was assigned to be the blogger and take pictures. Today is the first day with the cats. The teams are skinning today and getting to know their cats personally. And we found out that one of our cats is pregnant! This was a surprise to everyone, even Mr. Shields. That’s all for today!


I’ll keep you posted on all the good news within these last two weeks!


(A note from Mr. Shields: Don’t kid yourselves. Amanda will be doing more than blogging. Don’t take a dissection class if you don’t want to dissect!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see a student blogger! Amanda, I'd love to know what you're learning personally from your dissection experiences. What are you encountering that you never thought you would, or what new things have you learned now that you've had the opportunity to dissect?

    ReplyDelete